Full credit for this idea comes from Darren, AKA Theodore E Beem.
This writing challenge is for you to choose a "What If" scenario and change something cannon about the world, your character(s), or something else. Explore this change in a story of your choosing.
Examples could be:
- What if Character X lived instead of died? How would this affect or change the stories of those around them?
- What if Antiford was _____ instead of steampunk? How would our world change in a different theme? A different time period? A different world?
- What if _____ never existed?
- What if [Major Event] never happened/ changed?
Pick something. Big or small. Personal to your character or widespread. Ask the question: What if?
- Ensure you tag your stories as NON-CANON. Due to the nature of this prompt, these stories must be non-canon.
- As a flash fiction, aim for 1,000 words. However, a prompt like this might need more room to spread its wings. Do not feel constrained by a mere word count.
Please post links to your submissions below in the comments and inclue your "What If" scenario.