As Steampunks, we should make it clear that though we hold up the aesthetics and technological atmosphere of the Victorian-era, we cannot stand for the glorification of Victorian ideals. The "punk" in Steampunk needs to be in action, not just in name. Standing against oppression cannot be optional.
I cannot and do not claim to speak for the entirety of Citizens of Antiford, but I wanted to post something to acknowledge the unacceptable police brutality and continued systematic racism in our country, recently brought back into the spotlight by the death of George Floyd. And to share ways we can help.
PETITIONS TO SIGN:
ORGANIZATIONS TO DONATE TO (AND LEARN FROM):
- A List of Bail Funds By City (M4BL)
- "7 Ways We Know Systemic Racism Is Real"
- Police Brutality in the United States
- Anti-Racism Resources Google Doc << a HUGE list of resources including articles, books, podcasts, etc.
- and if the google doc isn't working for you: try this link
- Ibram Kendi's Anti-Racism Syllabus
- "4 Actions White People Can Take Today, After #BlackOutTuesday
- "I Want To Be An Ally But I Don't Know What To Do"
- "75 Things White People Can Do For Racial Justice"
- Boston University Center for Antiracist Research
- Another list of resources at residentadvisor.net
- How To Protest Safely in the Age of Surveillance
- Protest First Aid for Non-Medics
- Safe Protesting In A Pandemic
- Tips for Maintaining Safety and Taking Action in a Pandemic
PEOPLE TO FOLLOW:
- MUNROE BERGDORF: https://www.instagram.com/munroebergdorf/
- IBRAM X. KENDI: https://www.instagram.com/ibramxk/
- THE DREAM DEFENDERS: https://www.instagram.com/thedreamdefenders/
- RACHEL CARGLE: https://www.instagram.com/rachel.cargle/
- AAPOLICYFORUM: https://www.instagram.com/aapolicyforum/
- AJABARBER: https://www.instagram.com/ajabarber/
- CHEYNEY MCKNIGHT: https://www.instagram.com/notyourmommashistory/
- BOWTIES&BOOKS: https://www.instagram.com/bowtiesandbooks/