oh, hi 2020
New Year, New Decade, New Reading Challenge!
Are you ready for the first reading challenge of the new decade? Can you believe Antiford has been around for ten years?
One of my favorite parts about Antiford is getting to experience the true scope of creating a world from scratch. Of course, there are all the logical pieces groundwork that needs to be placed when world-building: governing systems, geography, technological advances and limitations. You can't have a sandbox without the sand...and then comes the fun things. The things that add depth and flavor to the...sandbox? Yeah, sorry. I'm sure there's a metaphor in this somewhere, but I am much too lazy to excavate it from the horrible mess I created.
...Where was I? Oh yeah -- Culture! Getting to ask the fun questions: what kind of holidays do we celebrate? What is the food like...what kind of stories do the people in our stories tell each other? Folklore can be a great way to explore the countries and cultures you want to create as well as learning more about the places already familiar to us. There's been quite a bit of folklore posted on this site over the years. I will likely do another one of these somewhere down the road to incorporate more as it comes in.
This reading challenge will focus on legends, folk tales, and mythology created for Antiford and other countries in the world.
The Reading List:
- Kuuvian Folklore by Lucas Merriweather Buford
- Yeti Mythology by Phinneus Caractacus Cromwell
- Prush Folklore by The Emperor of Prush (VonKresser)
- Legends of the Vibranni by Abigail Beatrix Cormac
As always, here are the guidelines:
- Read all the stories! Or at least try to. Maybe it's just one, or maybe you read all of them! Whatever you find the time to do, the point is to just read more.
- PLEASE leave a meaningful story-related comment on the piece when you've finished reading it (i.e. more than 'hi' or 'It's good'). This is not only how others will know you are participating in the challenge, but it is a nice way to interact with the author and show them some appreciation.
- Tip your hat to the story, if you'd like to! (Optional) Everybody loves bleep bloops.
This challenge will take place during the months of January and February of 2020, however feel free to complete it at your own pace. Leave a comment down below once you've completed the challenge or to suggest future themes!
This is the FIFTH reading challenge, if you haven't done so yet, feel free to check out our previous challenges:
- Reading Challenge #1 [Deserted]
- Reading Challenge #2 [Co-Op]
- Reading Challenge #3 [Passport]
- Reading Challenge #4 [Search]